When you are looking to lose weight, maintain your ideal weight or choose healthy food choices you have to make conscious choices to eat right. The phrase “eat right” refers to eating a balanced diet and also requires that you make tasty meals so as to keep your palate happy. Here are a few recipes that you can prepare fast and that are delicious, healthy, filling and low in calories.
Black Bean Soup
This soup is easy to make and perfect for nights when you want a simple meal or chilly times when you need a quick warm meal. A good option is black bean soup because black beans give great texture, and you can add chilli for some heat.
Two tablespoons oil
Two chopped onions
Three celery ribs finely chopped
Two carrots finely chopped
Three garlic cloves crushed
Two tsp of cumin
¼ tsp of paprika
Five cups beef or chicken broth
Three cans of black beans rinsed and drained
Tablespoon of lime juice
Salt and black pepper for seasoning
– Heat the oil in a pot and sauté the onions, carrots and celery until the veggies are soft.
– Add the garlic, paprika and cumin and continue to simmer on low heat until the garlic is translucent and the aroma of the herbs is released. Pour in the beans and sauté for a little while then pour in the broth. Cover and let it simmer over low heat for about 30 minutes
– Take a cup of the soup from the pot and blend until smooth then return to the pot and add lime juice, pepper and salt for seasoning. Stir and cook for a minute then remove from the stove and serve with a garnish of choices such as avocado, vegetable salad or some whole wheat bread.
The other healthy meal to make is a quick sandwich. They are great on the go foods, and there are lots of healthy ways to make them. If you don’t like bread, then you can have different vegetables to replace the bread such as lettuce or cabbage leaves. You can also have sweet potatoes, Portobello mushrooms, sweet peppers, tofu and even tomatoes.
Lettuce, chicken and cranberry sandwich
Salt and pepper to taste
– Make sure the shredded chicken is seasoned to your liking
– Mix in your cranberries
– Roll the cranberry chicken mix in lettuce leaves and hold together with toothpicks.
– Serve and enjoy with your favourite beverage
Fish is one of the healthy and great ingredients to use to make a meal. It contains healthy fats and is easy to digest, unlike other meats. It is also quick to prepare hence it’s easy to make a quick meal of it.
Tbsp olive oil
One tbsp. honey
½ tsp. soy sauce
Salt and pepper
– Heat the olive oil in a pan and seal the salmon fillet on both sides
– Drizzle with the mixture of honey and soy and season with salt and pepper then steam on low heat for up to five minutes till flaky.
– Serve with steamy brown rice or quinoa accompanies by your choice of vegetables.
An omelette is a great meal you can pack it with any extra ingredients you like. It is also straightforward and filling and will get you through any tough day. It can be eaten as breakfast, lunch or dinner; hence it’s a great meal to cook at any time.
Vegetable and cheese omelette
Butter or cooking oil
¼ cup milk
Large yellow onion finely chopped
One tomato deseeded and finely chopped
Hot pepper seeded and finely chopped
A handful of grated mozzarella cheese grated
– In a bowl mix the milk and eggs and beat until evenly mixed
– Heat a non-stick pan and melt some butter or heat some oil
– Pour in onions and let cook until translucent, add the rest of the vegetables and cook on low heat until well done then set aside.
– Pour some more oil in the pan and pour in the egg mix. Let cook until done to our liking then pour in the cooked veggies on top. Follow with the cheese and let cook for a minute until the cheese melts.
– Flip the omelette onto a plate and serve with a side of avocado, salad or whole wheat bread. Such an omelette is enough for two helpings or two meals.
These are just a few examples of healthy meals you can cook fast and with easy to get ingredients.